For: Faculty and Staff
Offered By: ICT Training Services
Duration: Meeting Center - 1 hour, Training Center 1.5 hours
We primarily use two versions of WebEx on campus, WebEx Meeting Center and WebEx Training Center.
All staff, faculty, and students have ready access to WebEx Meeting Center. To determine whether WebEx Training Center might meet your needs better, consider reading What are the differences between WebEx Meeting Center and WebEx Training Center? and/or consulting with your College IT Contact.
As a single, university-wide standard for web conferencing, WebEx can be accessed via the WebEx tab in the left-hand navigation menu in PAWS or via a mobile app (or at usask-students.webex.com for students only). Some benefits of using WebEx include the following:
- Decreased time spent travelling to and from meetings at different locations across campus.
- The elimination of administrative functions needed to book meeting rooms and physical equipment in spaces across campus.
- The opportunity to attend training sessions, town halls, conferences and forums online.
- The ability to collaborate and share research with colleagues and institutions around the world without having to make travel arrangements.
- The option of inviting non U of S employees to meetings or conferences.
- Functions to connect students with student specific units across campus (e.g., student counseling, SESD, Gwenna Moss).
- The ability to give students greater access to admissions and registration services, especially when they are located outside of Saskatoon.
- The ability to give employees greater access to administrative service contacts in finance and human resources without having to travel to service locations.
- Access to your own personal meeting room which gives you the ability to control virtual office hours from any location.
WebEx Meeting Center
The version of WebEx that is enabled for staff, faculty, and students by default is WebEx Meeting Center, the simpler of the two products. This short course is designed to get you up and running using this Meeting Center tool, whether you intend to use it for academic or non-academic purposes.
In this session we will explore:
- The WebEx interface/dashboard.
- Login, setup and installation.
- How to join a meeting.
- How to organize and/or host a meeting.
- How to schedule meetings (from the dashboard, from Outlook).
- How to present (sharing desktop, applications, files, video, audio, chat, etc).
There will be opportunities for you to participate actively, so bringing a device that you eventually intend to use for WebEx meetings (if possible) will be helpful. If not possible, you will still be able to participate passively.
WebEx Training Center
It is highly recommended that you learn about WebEx Meeting Center before you register for the WebEx Training Center course. Although different products, the courses are designed such that the WebEx Training Center course builds on the content from the WebEx Meeting Center course.
In this session we will explore:
- The Training Center interface/dashboard
- Role types in Training Center
- Login, setup and installation
- How to schedule a session
- How to communicate with participants
- How to setup and use breakout rooms
- How to present (sharing desktop, applications, files, video, audio)
Certain features that will be demonstrated are not currently available in the web browser interface. To experience all of the features, please join us using the desktop app instead of the web app.